May 29, 2009

Taco Review #1 - Bertha Mirandas, Reno NV - Biggest Little Taco in the World



So when eating on my food per diem for work (well, this is when I used to have a job) I always felt like I should maybe treat myself to a good meal – like at a place I would normally not go because it was a little out of my price range. Fortunately for my previous employer, I realized that the best food to be had is a little shit-hole places located in the worst part of town where you can get a hooker AND a carne asada plate and STILL be under the per diem! - now that’s smart shoppin’! Take for instance Bertha Mirandas in Reno NV – located right off the strip in a crazy neighborhood full of pawn shops and bail bonds places, there are plenty of dives, but Berthas is actually a pretty nice place – looks like an old Victorian house that was probably around servin’ up tacos to hungry 49’ers on their way to Virginia City.

Not really a taco stand and not really taco stand caliber tacos, but still damn good for a sit down place. I ordered the shredded beef taco plate (typical rice and beans on the side). The tacos were solid – beef: yes it was shredded and tender and moist and de-lish, topped with a little jack and lettuce and some tasty, but not spicy at all, salsa. Single-layer tort configuration which worked well with no tort bustage which is typical of single tort chinsey-ness. Rice: good rice, much better than the slop they serve up in New Mexico – loose and dry
Beans: Decent but nothing special. Beer: Three Bohemias. Any place that serves Bohemia automatically gets an extra ½ point in any on my reviews.

Berthas Taco Plate:

Carne: Bueno 4.0/5.0
Toppings: Lacking a bit 3.2/5.0
Salsa: Tasty but not spicy 3.6/5.0
Torts: White corn, good 4.2/5.0
Location: Easy to pawn a watch if you need $$ for tacos 4.2/5.0

Overall Score 3.84/5.0