December 12, 2006

Costa Rica Dirt - Cahuita a Bri Bri

Got to Cahuita and the waves were crazy so we could not do any snorkelling and surfing was also out of the question too. Did a ride from Cahuita to the indian village of Bri Bri near the Panamanian border. The road, part dirt and part paved, was packed with locals riding thier bikes to work or school or wherever. It was early in the morning and I was sweating like mad. A pack of kids saw me coming and jumped on my wheel with their beat up old bikes but couldn't hang when the road started climbing into the mountains. Lots of bananas...everywhere. Stopped to take a picture and set my Camelback down for about 2 minutes and didn't realize it was setting on an ant hill - FULL of fire ants. I put it back on and the ants were all over me - stinging and biting - not cool.





A cacoa "bean" as big as a football














The road to the border














banana trees as far as you could see

















Bad Monkey!